RECIPE #252, DAY #357
ORIGINAL RECIPE: “Killer Jerk Chicken” from Jamie Oliver’s Meals in Minutes*
TIMING: 30 minutes
DIFFICULTY: Easy, as long as you can determine when chicken is done cooking
TOOLS: Food processor or blender, baking pan, wide skillet, etc.
COOK TYPE: Stovetop and oven.
HEALTH: Skin is on, which has its positives nutritionally and its negatives. But basically, it’s just chicken and some yogurt, so I would say it’s a nice, healthy entree unless you are shooting for really low fat.
EXPERIENCE: I had this sitting on the schedule for a week, but dinner kept getting weird. But then my sister and her family were coming over for dinner (to my mom’s) and everyone was in the pool on a record-hot day while I made dinner. In the end, we were all gathered around the outdoor table, eating chicken, corn on the cob, salad, and beans and rice. And everyone raved about the chicken with the yogurt sauce. You’ll want to try it.
NOTES: Jamie Oliver called this jerk chicken, but that doesn’t fly with me. I’m calling it Caribbean Chicken and making sure that you pair it with the Yogurt Sauce because together they were so much more than either alone.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 2 pounds bone-in chicken on a platter. Drizzle with peanut oil, salt and pepper, and rub in. Place skin-side down in a hot, wide skillet and cook until skin is golden brown. Do not over-crowd pan, but cook in batches. Remove chicken to baking pan, skin-side-up, as it is browned.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine 4 rough-chopped scallions, 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, 1/4 teaspoon ground clove, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 cup rum, 1/3 cup white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 4 cloves garlic, and 1 de-seeded jalapeno. Combine until you have a paste. Add peanut oil to loosen, if needed.
- Pour sauce around the chicken. Drizzle chicken with honey and peanut oil, then cover with several sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Cook on the top rack for 15-25 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup yogurt (preferably Greek) with 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and the zest and juice of 1 lime. Taste for seasonings.
- Serve the chicken with the pan sauce and the yogurt sauce.
Serve with beans and rice (or peas and rice) and corn, as well as a green. Tropical-inspired on all counts would be good.
*Recipe has been changed from the original.